Demystifying the Regulations Surrounding Legal Cannabis Use in Illinois
With the legalization of recreational cannabis in Illinois, there are just a few regulations to be aware of when indulging in recreational cannabis. While it is legal, being aware of the rules and regulations surrounding legal Illinois recreational cannabis use is essential.
Per the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, recreational cannabis purchases have the following requirements:
- You must be 21 years of age.
- You must present a valid, government-issued photo ID.
If you meet both of these requirements, you are welcome to shop at any recreational dispensary in Illinois.
Understanding the Cannabis Purchase and Possession Limits in Illinois
Depending on if you are an Illinois resident or a non-resident, there are different rules and regulations surrounding your visit to a recreational dispensary and the use of recreational cannabis. In addition, there are specific laws around both purchase and possession limits. Let’s break it down.
Cannabis Purchase and Possession Limits for Illinois Residents
For Illinois residents, you are permitted to purchase and possess:
- Up to 30 grams of cannabis flower
- Up to 5 grams of cannabis concentrate
- Up to 500mg of THC in cannabis-infused products, including edibles.
Cannabis purchase and possession limits for non-Illinois residents
For those that are not a resident of Illinois, you are permitted to purchase and possess:
- Up to 15 grams of cannabis flower
- Up to 2.5 grams of cannabis concentrate
- Up to 250mg of THC in cannabis-infused products, including edibles.
The Tax Requirements for Buying Recreational Cannabis in Illinois Explained
In addition to rules and regulations around how much you can purchase and possess, there is also an Illinois cannabis tax imposed on all purchases, as well as an additional local tax.
To better understand this, let’s take a look at both state and local taxes, including:
- Cannabis products including flowers less than 35% THC have a 10% sales tax.
- Cannabis-infused products have a 20% sales tax, no matter the THC level.
- Cannabis products with over 35% THC concentrations have a 25% sales tax.
On top of this, there is a sales tax for cannabis in Illinois. For those that qualify for medical cannabis in Illinois, the sales tax is 1%, and for those who don’t, the sales tax is 6.25%.
Sign Up for Our Rewards Program
Find your perfect cannabis products at Windy City Cannabis. Whether you’re a medical or recreational user, we’ve got you covered.